James B. Seplowitz has practiced exclusively in the field of criminal law throughout his career. He has represented hundreds of clients on a wide range of charges, including handling over 400 DWI cases, and has represented clients in dozens of trials for various crimes, including murder, attempted murder, attempted sexual assault, drug possession, DWI, domestic violence, assault, theft, obstruction of justice and harassment.
Prior to founding the criminal defense firm of Foy & Seplowitz LLC with Jason E. Foy, Mr. Seplowitz worked at the Rem Zeller Law Group for nine years, the first five as an associate and the last four as a partner. There, he obtained vast experience in representing clients accused of crimes and motor vehicle offenses under the mentoring of Joe Rem, an esteemed New Jersey criminal trial attorney. Prior to working at Rem Zeller, Mr. Seplowitz served as a law clerk in the Criminal Part of the Superior Court of New Jersey for the Honorable Donald R. Venezia, J.S.C., where he gained a unique insight into New Jersey’s criminal justice system.
Mr. Seplowitz is admitted to practice in New Jersey and New York, the United States District Courts for the District of New Jersey and the Southern District of New York, the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, and the Supreme Court of the United States. He is certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Municipal Court Law Attorney, part of the first class of attorneys in the state to achieve that designation. He has attained the top AV Preeminent rating from the Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating system on ethical standards and legal ability. He has been named in the New Jersey Super Lawyers publication as a “Rising Star” in criminal defense in 2012, 2013 and 2014, and as a “Super Lawyer” in criminal defense in 2015, 2016 and 2017. He has also been named in the (201) Magazine Bergen’s Top Lawyers section and in the New Jersey’s Top Legal Minds publication. He has published several legal articles and given many CLE lectures regarding DWI and criminal law. In addition, he is certified to operate the Alcotest 7110, the breath testing machine utilized by all law enforcement agencies in New Jersey.
Mr. Seplowitz is a member of the New Jersey State Bar Association (NJSBA), the Bergen County Bar Association (BCBA), the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL), the Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey (ACDL-NJ), the NORML Legal Committee, and is a graduate of the Justice Morris Pashman American Inn of Court. He has served as President of the Young Lawyers Section for the BCBA and as a co-chair of the BCBA’s Criminal Practice Committee. He is currently a co-chair of the BCBA’s Municipal Court Practice Committee and is a member of the BCBA’s Board of Trustees. Mr. Seplowitz is also a member of District II-B Ethics Committee, in which he investigates ethics complaints filed against other attorneys.
Mr. Seplowitz has a Masters degree in Criminal Justice from the University of Cincinnati. He received his law degree in 2003 from the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, New York, NY and is a magna cum laude graduate of Yeshiva College, Yeshiva University (B.A. in History). While in law school, Mr. Seplowitz was a David Berg Scholar and was competitively selected as a member of the Moot Court Honor Society and the Criminal Defense Clinic.
When he is not practicing law, James enjoys spending time with his wife and three children and playing hockey (he plays defense in court and on the ice).
James B. Seplowitz email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of Practice
- 100% Criminal Defense
- Drug Possession and Distribution
- Sex Crimes
- Assault and Homicide
- DWI and Motor Vehicle Offenses
- Criminal and Municipal Appeals
- Domestic Violence
- Probation and Parole Violations
- New Jersey, 2003
- New York, 2004
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 2003
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 2008
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 2009
- Supreme Court of the United States, 2014
- University of Cincinnati
- M.S. in Criminal Justice – 2011
- Yeshiva University Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, New York, New York
- J.D. – 2003
- Honors: David Berg Scholar; Moot Court Honor Society; Criminal Defense Clinic
- Yeshiva College, Yeshiva University, New York, New York
- B.A. in History(Magna Cum Laude) – 2000
- Drugs Bunny: When Does the Personal Use Defense Lose Its Bounce?, Inside the Minds (Aspatore Books), 2015.
- Knowing Your Witnesses and Building a Successful Defense for the DWI Client, Inside the Minds (Aspatore Books), 2013.
- Synthetic Marijuana Ban Raises Novel Questions for Defense, New Jersey Law Journal, 210 N.J.L.J. 939, 2012.
- Seeing Double: Representing a New York Driver in a New Jersey DWI Case, New Jersey Lawyer Magazine, December, 2010
- “Driving” While Intoxicated When Sleeping in a Parked Car?, Bergen Barrister, Winter, 2008
- Time to Get Rid of a Draconian Law, New Jersey Law Journal, 192 N.J.L.J. 815, 2008
- Dos and Don’ts in Municipal Court Practice, Bergen County Bar Association, January 30, 2017.
- DWI Primer, Bergen County Bar Association, June 21, 2016.
- Expungement Law Update, Bergen County Bar Association, April 19, 2016.
- Expungements 101 and the Changing Law on Expungements, Bergen County Bar Association, March 21, 2016.
- DWI and Refusal – Evaluating the Case, Bergen County Bar Association, October 29, 2015.
- To Text or Not to Text – The Effect of Technology on Professionalism, Bergen County Bar Association, October 22, 2013.
- Reds, Whites and DWI Blues, Bergen County Bar Association, February 28, 2013.
- Reds, Whites and DWI Blues, Bergen County Bar Association, January 19, 2012.
- Avoiding Common Mistakes In and Out of Court: A Guide to Professionalism and Ethics, Bergen County Bar Association, October 19, 2011.
- Handling First DUI Case, LawReview CLE, May 26, 2011.
- Reds, Whites and DWI Blues, Bergen County Bar Association, March 2, 2011.
- A Survival Guide to the Municipal Courts, Bergen County Bar Association, November 23, 2010.
- Everything You Need to Know About Criminal Record Expungements, Bergen County Bar Association, Moderator, April 28, 2010.
- Handling the Criminal Case in Superior Court: Tips on Plea Bargaining, PTI, Pretrial Motions and Sentencing, Bergen County Bar Association, September 24, 2009.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New Jersey State Bar Association (NJSBA), Member, 2004 – Present
- Bergen County Bar Association (BCBA), Member, 2004 – Present
- Justice Morris Pashman Inn of Court, 2006 – 2008
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL), Member, 2003 – Present
- Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey (ACDL-NJ), Member, 2010 – Present
- NORML Legal Committee, Member, 2004 – Present
- National College for DUI Defense (NCDD), Member, 2014 – Present
- BCBA, Young Lawyers Section, President, 2008 – 2009
- BCBA Criminal Practice Committee, Co-Chair, 2008 – 2010
- BCBA Municipal Court Practice Committee, Co-Chair, 2011 – Present
- BCBA Board of Trustees, Member, 2012 – Present
- District II-B Ethics Committee, Attorney Member/Investigator, 2016 – Present
- Municipal Court Law Attorney, Supreme Court of New Jersey
- Alcotest 7110 Operator, Draeger (Manufacturer of the Alcotest 7110)
Past Employment Positions
- Hon. Donald R. Venezia, Superior Court of New Jersey, Hackensack, New Jersey, Judicial Law Clerk, September 1, 2003 – August 30, 2004
- Rem Zeller Law Group, Hackensack, New Jersey, (Partner, 2009-2013; Associate, 2004-2009).